- 181123 - Scientist III
- CA-Southern California - San Diego
- 6 Months
- Chipton-Ross is seeking a Scientist III for an opening in Carlsbad, CA.
This scientist will develop tools and techniques to support genome engineering. This scientist will be expected to work in a highly collaborative team environment, supporting some projects with some supervision of a senior scientist and leading some projects independently. Projects may include, but not be limited to, cloning, purification and characterization of proteins, developing gene editing strategies in various cell lines, and developing assays to monitor editing.
• Molecular biology
• Plasmid subcloning, DNA preparations, sequencing, in vitro transcription of RNA, PCR
• Generation of genome engineering tools
• Protein characterization assay
• Mammalian cell culture (Culture of many cell types)
• Genomic editing in several cell lines (TALN and CRISPR based editing, design and implementation)
• Stable cell line generation (Transfection, transduction, antibiotic-selection, clonal expansion)
This individual will also be expected to support and participate in R&D and project management meetings.
• 3+ years of experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA/protein)
• 3+ years of experience in cell culture and stable cell line generation
• 1+ year experience with genome engineering of mammalian cells
• Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
• Proven experience:
• Protein characterization (assay development)
• Complicated design and cloning of DNA constructs
• Genome engineering (CRISPR or TALEN)
• Primary cell culture experience preferred
• Ability to observe deviations from the expected outcomes and trouble-shoot
• Succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
• Participate in a strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills
• Maintain a detailed lab notebook and present your findings in a group setting
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Cell work will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Time may be spent manipulating DNA constructs and proteins in a laboratory environment. Some time will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
Candidate must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols. This individual must be able to identify deviations from expected outcomes and participate in troubleshooting those deviations and suggesting alternatives.
Critical to success in this position will be the individual’s ability to work independently on some projects and to provide support collaboratively on others while meeting project timelines.
Equally important will be the ability to work as part of a team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Collaborator).
Accredited Bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree may be considered if they have a significant amount of the appropriate experience.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x307 or (800) 927-9318 x307
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.