- 182439 - Optical Engineer
- CA-Southern California - San Diego
- Rancho Bernardo
- 3 Months CTH
- Chipton-Ross is seeking an Optical Engineer for an opening in Rancho Bernardo, CA.
With general direction, this position exercises considerable latitude for initiating and developing designs, procedures, techniques and solution to resolving advanced technical engineering problems. Assignments are normally outlined in terms of broad specifications, objectives, possible results anticipated and critical reference points requiring special attention. Guides the successful resolution of engineering problems, serves as a consulting resource of engineering knowledge, applies the latest technological advancements to the problem, and may function in a project leadership role. Documents findings, communicates results to engineering staff, makes technical presentations, and may represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small identifiable projects. Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
" Develops innovative but practical solutions to advanced technical problems in engineering.
" Develop optical designs for imaging systems using ZEMAX or other optical design tools.
" Analyze optical system performance, including tolerance analyses and expected imaging performance over field angle and spectral bands.
" Perform scattered light analysis on optical/laser systems.
" Provides focal point for technical communication within the Company management and may represent the Company as the prime technical contact to customers and/or government regulatory agencies.
" Presents report(s) at engineering meetings, participates in program reviews and consults on problems.
" Provides expert guidance and consulting to other staff members working on difficult engineering problems.
" Anticipates future engineering needs and the modifications required to accomplish a technical goal.
" Addresses complex and difficult technical issues requiring novel and highly creative approaches drawing on advanced engineering concepts.
" May assume technical and engineering responsibility of the success of an identifiable project.
" Directs activities of design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
" Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
" Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Demonstrated optical engineering experience is required.
- Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Experience with ZEMAX or other optical design tools is highly desired.
Bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
MISCELLANEOUS: Applicants responding to this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements by currently possessing the ability to view classified government information.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x282 or (800) 927-9318 x282
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.