- 182668 - Software Automation Engineer
- Up to $57.00 DOE
- 3 Months
- Chipton-Ross is seeking a Software Automation Engineer for an opening in Tempe, AZ.
Performs a variety of engineering work in the control, construction, integration, and maintenance of complex electro-optical, thin-film deposition, and vacuum systems. Emphasis will be on automation of the processing, including both electrical and motion controls, using both hardware and software. The hardware design aspects involve specifying robotic motion controls, mounting and wiring considerations, and thermal/power handling design. The software automation includes either embedded microprocessor/microcontroller firmware and/or PLC coding for customized controls, as needed. Specifying and using COTS controllers and equipment to supplement these designs will also be expected, where appropriate. Most equipment involves high voltage and vacuum design techniques and experience.
• Collaborate with the Equipment Engineering Manager and departmental engineers to coordinate project requirements and communicate current status
• Charter and lead projects with Engineering Team to improve test or process equipment capability, increase availability and uptime, reduce cycle time and/or labor cost, and improve yields by eliminating handling related losses, as assigned
• Estimates, negotiates, monitors, and reports electro-mechanical automation design and development, integration and qualification schedules
• Creation of various types of documentation (for use in production) using a variety of tools, including engineering and production review and release. Familiarity with TeamCenter is a plus.
• Ability to professionally and effectively communicate is required. Written - use of multimedia tools for briefings, ability to write procedures and reports. Verbal - ability to provide briefings in small to medium size groups of technicians, engineers and management
• Conducts research and development activities concerned with the design, building, and testing of embedded electro-mechanical robotic systems, automated electro-optical and high vacuum thin-film deposition system monitoring and control.
• Design contributions include digital and analog circuit design skills and programming experience in multiple applications including DSP, embedded microcontrollers, electro-optical test (both illumination control and measurement), camera/video systems and image analysis. Will also contribute significantly to related mechanical aspects of the system designs, working closely with mechanical engineering support. Capability with using solid modeling and finite element analysis techniques expected as part of the design process, where necessary.
• Builds and tests prototypes of proposed Capital & IRAD funded electro-mechanical robotic, and integrated process control systems. This includes design and integration of electronic components with optical and video subsystems.
• Reviews and ensures designed products & integrated test systems meet specifications.
• The ability to present a detailed design description including both mechanical and electrical tolerance analyses in a peer, management and/or customer design review is necessary.
• Oversees special projects, purchases required materials, assembles and verifies operation, and coordinates validation testing in production environment.
• Ownership of equipment operation software documentation
• Attend and support relevant morning stand up reviews and weekly reviews with Manufacturing and/or Equipment Engineering Manager
• Develop electrical design, schematics and drawings in CAD
• Interpret mechanical design drawings for electrical requirements (e.g. SolidWorks)
• Research supplier products for assembly components
• Help establish new and maintain existing standards
• Develop electrical bill of materials
• Power up electrical systems and configure hardware per application specifications
• Check quality of assemblers and technicians work and respond to inquiries during assembly
• Design and develop software applications based on given requirements and specifications
• Understand project requirements for GUI/communication interface, networking and create specifications based on these requirements
• Review, repair and redesign legacy code
• Troubleshoot issues with existing systems
• Write user manuals to communicate functionality of company developed programs
• Technical writing including Software Management Plan
• Requirement Reviews – Participate in reviews and work with Systems Engineering to ensure proper implementation of features
• Experience in a similar position is required. Experience in Automotive, Biotech, Pharmaceutical, or Semiconductor is a plus.
• 5+ years of experience in the automation industry
• In-depth knowledge and application of engineering principles and concepts
• Proficient in Design/Drafting Tools as SolidWorks, Pro-E. Etc.
• Programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Siemens)
• Configuring and designing HMI/OIT systems (e.g. Allen Bradley, National Instruments, Maple Systems)
• Familiar with Industry Standards UL and CE
• Familiar with Vision Systems (e.g. Cognex, Keyence)
• Familiar with various Motion Controllers/Actuators (e.g. IAI, Yasakawa)
• Experience and skill in troubleshooting control system issues
• Ability to effectively establish rapport and develop effective relationships
• Ability to effectively communicate orally and through written documents
Accredited B.S. in Electrical, or Computer Engineering is desired
1st (M - Th) EOF 8:00am - 5:0pm
MISCELLANEOUS: Applicants responding to this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements by currently possessing the ability to view classified government information.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x282 or (800) 927-9318 x282
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.