- 183181 - Build Reliability Engineer
- CA-S.Cali-Los Angeles/Orange Counties
- Chipton-Ross is seeking a Build Reliability Engineer for an opening in Hawthorne, CA with SpaceX to work on an exciting, new program.
The Build Reliability organization at SpaceX is an inter-disciplinary team that ensures the reliability of flight components and production assemblies. Your breadth of exposure as a Build Reliability Engineer will be immense as you partner with every other core group at SpaceX, guiding the hardware from cradle to grave. You use data-driven decision making to actively represent quality objectives in design and development teams and to drive improvements in reliability on the manufacturing floor. You have the ability to dive deep on the details to identify and solve difficult technical problems, but you can also utilize a system level approach to prioritize issues for the vehicle as a whole. You thrive in a hands-on environment and will spend time in the office, on the factory floor, and in the lab to execute on the mission to bring the capability of flying astronauts back to the United States.
• Partner with Vehicle Engineering and Production teams during all development phases to analyze and create reliability plans for vehicle programs including identification of key characteristics, prototype testing for manufacturability, first article and detailed inspection planning, evaluation of previous non-conformance and lessons learned, and other manufacturing and quality tools as required
• Lead the development of test plans and processes and partner with inspectors to ensure quality goals are met in a timely manner
• Lead first build reviews to ensure transparency of design intent, design requirements, design and manufacturing risks, and manufacturability of design
• Lead, facilitate, and participate in root cause investigations in their respective work centers
• Lead containment of all suspect product including but not limited to providing guidance to quality inspectors, technicians, and shop supervisors to assist in quarantining of all suspect product
• Design and develop inspection plans as required for process or design changes, ensure inspection/test criteria are objective with clear pass/fail criteria, and assess new processes for safety and product risks
• 2+ years of experience in a quality, manufacturing, or design engineering role (student project team or internship experience is also applicable)
• Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and offsite as needed. Some travel may be required.
• Experience supporting production of complex electro-mechanical, mechanical, or composites systems in high volume work centers and/or during production ramp-up
• Knowledge of quality tools such as Lean principles, Six Sigma, root cause analysis and corrective action, advanced product quality planning (APQP), metrology, process failure mode and effects analysis (PFMEA), control plans, and various problem solving approaches
• Dedicated to adopting a Lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability
• Accredited Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or engineering physics
• Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and offsite as needed.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x250 or (800) 927-9318 x250
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.