- 194235 - Design Engineer
- 6 months
Chipton-Ross is seeking a Design Engineer for an opening in Topeka, KS.
• Perform design relating to the company’s electric substation, transmission line and generation equipment control systems and fault protection systems to ensure reliability and safety.
• Specify substation equipment using substation ratings (e.g., bus, ground mat, conduit, switches, power circuit breakers, transformers, relay panels, instrumentation, capacitor banks, reactor banks) to ensure reliability and safety.
• Design protective relay systems, metering and SCADA by referencing standards, past projects, new research, regulations and system requirements in order to ensure reliability and safety.
• Gather and analyze system ratings (e.g., voltage, power ratings, ampacity, system impedance, CT ratios, and relay settings) by researching substation current conditions and configurations to provide data to reporting agencies (i.e., SPP, NERC, FERC) and meet new system requirements.
• Produce detailed system protection and control project scopes and cost estimates to assist in multi-year projects and budget planning by using data from previous projects, bids, and research to ensure accuracy and completion of tasks on time and on budget.
• Support both operations and construction personnel as needed in troubleshooting, failure analysis, mis- operations, testing assistance, commissioning assistance and other technical duties by analyzing data and providing findings to resolve problems (e.g., equipment failures, construction issues, drawings, event reports).
• Prepare and study technical drawings and specifications of electrical systems and equipment to ensure that installation and operations conform to requirements (e.g., Company, protection, code).
• Direct designers and technicians by reviewing work and monitoring progress in order to ensure compliance with safety and regulations.
he preferred candidate will have utility experience directly related to electric substation, generation, and transmission line equipment control and fault protection systems. Successful candidate requires knowledge of basic engineering principles and advanced mathematics. Requires knowledge of and skills in electric power engineering including: ? Understanding of schematic, wiring, and logic diagrams. ? Requires the ability to learn major systems in a timely fashion. ? Knowledge of Generation, Transmission and Distribution system relays and associated protection schemes. ? Ability to develop elementary drawings, relay logic and settings for system protection designs. ? Must be dependable, self-motivated, and detail-oriented and have excellent organizational and proofreading skills. ? Must possess the ability to work and communicate effectively with other company personnel. ? Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets and databases preferred. ? Must be able to handle multiple priorities and operate efficiently and effectively in high stress environment 1. Ability to learn company’s design philosophy related to protection and control designs 2. Review and redline substation protection and transmission line protection and control drawings related to the company’s typical designs. 3. Review detailed system protection and control project bills of material,
Requires a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an ABET accredited program.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x282 or (800) 927-9318 x282
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.