- 205053 - Mechanical Engineer
- CA-Bay Area
- Canoga Park
- Up to $113000.00 DOE
- 12 months
Chipton-Ross is seeking a Mechanical Engineer for a direct hire opportunity in Canoga Park, CA.
The selected candidate will perform mechanical design engineering assignments requiring application of advanced engineering principles, theories and concepts to develop propulsion hardware for spacecraft and missile programs. Work is performed independently and reviewed by senior staff.
40% - Creates mechanical components and their higher level systems for high pressure and extreme environment applications. Interpret engineering models and drawings and perform tolerance studies. Evaluate technical input from hardware suppliers and work with cross functional teams on producibility improvements and cost savings. Candidate will participate in trade studies and preliminary designs using 3D CAD modeling software tools (Creo).
10% - Supports development of concepts for mechanical systems to meet customer propulsion requirements. Supports preliminary design, component sizing, propulsion hardware packaging to meet volume and mass constraints. Works mechanical solutions needed to integrate the propulsion system with vehicle and payload interfaces.
20% - Prepares and delivers technical presentations for internal and external customers. Supports creation of engineering reports to support tolerance studies, engineering analyses, or failure investigations.
10% - May support development and qualification testing for new product development. Creates test integration hardware to support flow testing, vibration testing and hot-fire testing. May support hands-on work during test preparation.
10% - Performs or coordinates thermal and structural analysis for predicting component and system level performance in the design of the products. Interacts with manufacturing to assure hardware is producible.
10% - Prepares engineering drawings with associated geometric dimensioning and tolerancing in accordance with ASME Y14.5 standards. Actively participates in team meetings to assure design content for new or modified engineering designs. May lead the work of design staff or oversee the work of product definition designers.
- Requires the ability to innovate new hardware and integration of high pressure fluid systems with general supervision.
- Experience with liquid and gaseous pressurized systems is helpful (tanks, fluid routing, sealing devices such as o-rings and metallic seals, valves and regulators)
- Experience with testing and qualification of mechanical hardware is beneficial.
- Working knowledge of Creo or Solidworks CAD geometry-based modeling is desired.
Experience using the Windchill product life-cycle management system is desired.
- Experience in the design and development of mechanical systems and working knowledge of ASME Y14.5 is required.
- Mechanical engineering background with knowledge and understanding of fluid flow principles is desired.
- Experience with aerospace hardware is beneficial. - General component and system level knowledge of chemical rocket propulsion hardware is desirable.
- General understanding of manufacturing processes (welding, brazing, machining, heat treating) is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel and Power Point) is required.
A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, or an appropriate discipline, and five (5) to nine (9) years of directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. - An advanced degree or coursework toward an advanced degree is a plus.
Applicants responding to this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements by currently possessing the ability to view classified government information.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x280 or (800) 927-9318 x280
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.